Before we jump into configuring the NGINX server there are some important signs to know. First configuring a a server is a fairly complex task. If you have experience in server administration at some point in time you’ve likely learned the importance of planning when it comes to server deployment.
Apache vs NGINX
- Configuring a Server can be complex
- Administrators must consider:
- Software Compatibility, Capacity, Scalability, & Cost Effectiveness.
- Deploying incorrect configurations in the beginning can be costly later on.
There are so many factors to account for including software compatibility capacity. future scalability and cost effectiveness. Just to name a few. Deploying a server with the wrong configuration in the beginning stages of web application development can be an extremely costly mistake.
Two of the most popular open source platforms for powering web applications in the modern internet era are Apache HTTP and NGINX. It began with the incorporation of the Apache Software Foundation in 1999. This innovative new process would revolution the Internet as we knew it.
- Two of the most powerful web servers are Apache HTTP and NGINX.
- NGINX is much newer, compared to Apache.
- Apache Official Development began in 1999.
In the late 90s to 2011 Apache was responsible for delivering over 60 percent of the world’s web pages. Since then this percentage has fallen quite dramatically to below 35 percent comparatively speaking. Microsoft’s Internet Information Services Now powers 30 percent of all web sited across the Internet. NGINX on the other hand has already captured over 16 percent of the market share. This number has been Increasing by a staggering 1 percent a year over the last few years.
Why its so popular
- In the late 90’s to 2011, Apache delivered over 60% of the World Wide Web.
- Apache Market Share has falled to below 35%.
- Microsoft IIS now powers 30%, NGINX 16%.
- NGINX Market Share grows at 1% a year.
- Apache is part of LAMP Stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
The rapid rise of Apache resulted from its ability to efficiently process web requests while maximizing efficiency. This was primarily achieved by reducing the load on internet RAM and improving latency as the Internet rapidly rose in popularity upon she became a necessary to for web administrators focused on delivering user with the best possible browsing experience.
- Apache became widely adopted because of it’s efficiency in processing web requests.
- Created at a time when World Wide Web was in it’s infancy.
- During it’s debut in 1995, internet traffic levels were a small fraction of what they are today.
Despite its popularity and mass adoption it was created at a time when the world wide web was in its infancy. When debuted in 1995 Internet traffic levels were a minuscule fraction of what they are today. CPU is relatively cheap and bandwidth considerations were almost nonexistent.